Tuesday, May 29, 2012

3 days


Things I’m looking forward to in America:
Seeing my friends and family :)
Customer service
Affordable cheese
Not being singled out for being a minority
A diversity of food
Cold food
A diversity of clothes
Washers and dryers
Being able to drive
Making money!!!
Having wifi in my house
3G and being able to use my iphone
Reliable cell phone networks
Hot showers!!! Though that’ll take a while to get used to
Carpeted floors, I think
Air conditioning, I think. I hear it’s hot in Texas…
Two plugs in one outlet
People (for the most part) understanding people being LGBT
Wearing shorts
Emissions standards
Liberal religion/my churches
Finding all of the African restaurants and hanging out in downtown Richardson

Things I’m not looking forward to in America
The long plane ride to get there
So many freaking white people
Gas prices
A lack of sketchy bars and cheap bottled beers
Non-colorful money…and pennies
My bed
Houses with insulation
Having to actually travel long-ish distances to get to a store
The looks I’ll get when I respond “I’m fine, thank you. How are you?” When someone asks me how I am

Things I’m going to miss about Rwanda:
Cheap public transportation
Motos
Sketchy bars
Beers for just over a dollar
Cheap shisha
Primus
The regular ego boost I get from men who, erm, appreciate the fact that I’m a muzungu woman
PKVs (the adorableeeee children here)
Walking everywhere
The hills and gorgeous scenery
The music
The super clean streets
My bed here!!!
Alimentations
My babies!!!
Being able to buy fruit and popcorn on the street for really cheap
The spectacular view from our house
Pausing just to listen to the Adhan
All the colorful fabric and African clothes
RTV shows about Japan
How easy it is to go to another country
Nyamirambo
Rwandan music videos

Things I’m not going to miss about Rwanda
Getting stared at all the freaking time
African English
People following me around in stores
Rwandan men always asking for my number and asking me to come visit them at their house
Breathing the exhaust from all the cars
Getting hissed at
Rwandans ALWAYS shutting the windows on hot, smelly buses

No comments:

Post a Comment