Thursday, March 29, 2012

Laundry and a follow up on criticizing mother Teresa


So, laundry in Rwanda is not for the faint of heart. Or hands, apparently. Even though I have helpers who do my laundry for me (ugh, that sounds disgustingly privileged. Which it is :/ ), I wanted to be able to do it myself. So two Thursdays ago, my helper Bibianne showed me how to wash my clothes by hand like she does. What this basically amounts to is separating your clothes by underwear, shirts, skirts, pants, dresses, and sweaters, filling a wide and shallow bucket with water, adding powdered laundry detergent, mixing that up and getting it all sudsy, adding your clothes and letting them soak, scrubbing them with a bar of soap and then back and forth with your hands, putting them in another bucket of sudsy water, scrubbing them again (no soap this time), putting them in a bucket of clean water, and then squeezing them out before hanging them up on the line to dry. Long and laborious work to be sure. And a little taxing on your hands. The first Thursday I did this, my hands were a little raw by the end, especially my cuticles and skin below them. The second Thursday I did this, my fingers had apparently not healed enough since the first time, and by the time I was halfway through with my underwear, one of my cuticles was bleeding pretty badly. My hands are lazy, as Bibianne put it. I’ll have to whip them into shape before we live on our own in May!

And the follow up. So, many of the criticisms I found of the Missionaries of Charity homes in India are not evident in the home here in Kigali. Granted, I think some things could be improved, but by Rwandan standards, conditions are pretty good. The children are fed good food, they receive physical therapy if they need it, they have toys, they get medicine when they’re sick, they have a stocked medicine cabinet, they have well-kept records of each of the children, they weigh them, they have a doctor who comes to care for the children, they respond when volunteers have a concern (they had the doctor look at a boy when he had a large, soft, oddly shaped bump on his head that I brought to their attention), they know everyone’s names, etc. The only thing I can’t see here is the financial side of things, but I am only a volunteer. The sisters did mention spending a ton of money (I think she said a million) on leg braces for the children, but that’s about all I’ve heard. Again, by Rwandan standards, the place is in good condition. All I know is that the Vatican controls all of the Missionaries of Charity’s funds, so who knows what the story is for the order as a whole, but as for this home, things look pretty good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment